Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Seven Immutable Laws of Investing

James Montier of GMO, LLC recently penned a piece titled “The Seven Immutable Laws of Investing.”  These “laws” are certainly not new to adherents of value investing.  However, I believe we need to constantly reinforce these laws, especially since they are often inconsistent with our natural tendencies.
So, now, for the moment of truth, I present a set of principles that together form what I call The Seven Immutable Laws of Investing.
1.  Always insist on a margin of safety
2.  This time is never different
3.  Be patient and wait for the fat pitch
4.  Be contrarian
5.  Risk is the permanent loss of capital, never a number
6.  Be leery of leverage
7.  Never invest in something you don’t understand

1 comment:

  1. Hi there,
    This is a wonderful blog you've maintained. But recently you've not posted anything, may I ask you why?

    I agree with all the points. Specially no. 6. because last year I zeroed upon a company which seemed to be a great value buy. But its price has not moved anywhere till now - a value trap I must say.
    Later I realized that it's high on debt and equity dilution is also considerable.

    If possible do check out my blog on value investing too. I would love to hear from you.

    Regards,
    Sunil

    ReplyDelete

About Me

I am Mechanical engineer from IIT.In last few years i had developed deep passion for process of wealth creation and subsequently in Warren buffet , charlie munger and investment psychology.I am starting this blog to share/Discuss basic qualitative and quantitative analysis of Indian companies on Value basis.